A magnificent Château with a beguiling history, set in a little over 2 acres of private parklands, resplendent with mature redwood, oak, chestnut, judas and magnolia trees, meandering down to direct river access.
Constructed in 1947 by a Flemish architect, the existing property replicates a former château which was raised to the ground after the German occupation in WWII. Local legend sites the origins of a grand property since the 13th century and is believed to have housed the family of one of the 17th Century Musketeers. Today, the grandiose architecture of this most striking property belies the comfortable and beautifully proportioned interior of a much loved family home.
Just a short distance from the Medieval town of Sauveterre de Bearn, in a village with a popular local restaurant, the Château is approached via private entrance gates, leading through the mature grounds. The ground floor comprises a grand entrance hall leading to a formal dining room, a reception room with stone fireplace, a snug sitting room and a large kitchen with bespoke cabinets and fittings. The beautiful iron staircase leads to five double bedrooms and two bathrooms on the first floor, accessed via a light and spacious circular landing. The second floor has been converted into private living quarters for the family’s adolescent children, providing them with their own TV room, large bathroom and three good size bedrooms.
Beautiful arched, glazed doors open out from the formal dining room and grand reception to the pool terrace, which extends to a fully equipped summer kitchen, utility area and wet room, created in the adjoining barn, formerly the thoroughfare of the horse and carriage. A large garage for storage, a small barn and a water tower « pigeonnier », complete the ensemble of this superb estate.
Viewing is highly recommended.
* Agency fees to be paid by the seller. (Consult our fees)